Arrr you ready for Smith Mountain Lake’s 2019 Pirate Days?
Pirate Days at Smith Mountain Lake run from
Thursday, July 18th to Sunday, July 21st
RSI Rentals is ready and we’ve put together 5 fun pirate facts to kick off The Pirate Days the right way!!
- Despite what many believe, there were many female Pirates. Women were considered bad luck to have on board a ship, but that didn’t stop those determined to pursue their pirate dream. From wearing men’s clothes and changing their names they did what they had to do in order to sail the seven seas.
- Blackbeard was the most feared pirate of all. Blackbeard (AKA Edward Teach) was known as the most terrifying pirate in the world. Before capturing a ship he would weave hemp into his beard and light it on fire—an intimidation tactic that made him look demonic. Yikes! That would scare us, too.
- The Jolly Roger is a white skull and crossbones flag on a black background. Most people associate the Jolly Roger with pirates even though very few captains used this design on their ships. Really it was the red flag you had to worry about. If a ship approached flying a red flag with an hourglass on it then you’d know you were in trouble!! The red flag meant ‘give no quarter’ and the hourglass basically meant your time on earth was about to run out.
- It’s a pretty common misconception that pirates’ eye patches were worn to conceal an empty eye socket. What they were actually for is much more interesting. The real reason for the eye patches was so that one eye would remain constantly adjusted to darkness, which made it easier to fight below deck when boarding ships. The technique was so effective that keeping one eye closed is still a technique used in the military today for night survival
5. Grog was the pirate’s drink of choice. Grog—a mixture of rum, water, lemon juice, and sugar—was the drink of choice for pirates. (Hmmm, I wonder if that’s where the idea for our rum punch came from?)
This year marks the 7th annual Pirate Days. The word is out and folks who could have gone to other destinations are coming to Smith Mountain Lake because of this fun family theme. Check out the link below for the Pirate Days Event Schedule!!
Brought to you by your ARRRRRMAZING RSI Rentals, Staff.